Saturday, October 19, 2013

Saving Money

I think I'm going to try to start posting maybe once in a while about how I've saved us money this week. You know, some tips or tricks I've used. I don't know how often I'll do this though. I've been really into trying to save us money while also trying to fix better meals so we don't always eat frozen dinners or microwave meals every night.

This past week, I searched the ads in the local paper and cut coupons to decide on the grocery list and menu for the next week. I usually do this, but during this past week I was a little more diligent. I found that Publix has their Campbell's soup for $1.39 verses Walmart's $1.50. I checked the ads over several times before going to the store and buying the soup. I didn't want to go through all the trouble and have Walmart not honor the ad. Their AdMatch thing is very particular. It has to be the exact same item or they won't accept it. Which is kind of a pain but oh well. What made this more awesome was I had a coupon for $1 off 3. I know that doesn't sound like much but since I didn't know when they were going to be on sale again, I decided to use it. Plus, I love their Sirloin Burger with Country Vegetables. That one's my favorite. Thankfully, Walmart accepted it. This week, our bill was under $90. Granted, we got a few extra things but we try to keep it under $100 a week.

One of the extra things we got was a hand mixer. My wonderful hubby just randomly decided to get me one this week, though I'd said I just needed it sometime before Thanksgiving so I could make some Snickerdoodles cookies. Except I can never find cream of tartar anymore. So I plan on subbing baking powder for it and the baking soda. I'll let you know how they turn out. Last time I made them, everyone loved them. :) Even though I just completely omitted the cream of tartar. They turned out ok.

At least now I can make his pancakes easier next weekend with the hand mixer and my new mixing bowl set (the other extra thing we got!).
Kayley

No comments:

Post a Comment